Friday, May 13, 2011

Type Show at Gallery Nucleus





UPDATE: My original drawing sold on opening night, and a friend sent me this image which reminded him of the drawing. Amazing! I had not seen this before I did the drawing. Clearly proving that there are no new ideas out there.



I was invited to make an original drawing as a part of the Gallery Nucleus Type Show, which features a wide range of typographic designers and illustrators including Jessica Hische, Josh Cochran, Mike Perry, Darren Booth and many others. The show opens tomorrow night in Alhambra, California, just north of Los Angeles.

It was so nice to get a chance to make an image without the constraints of an art director's vision or client needs... but of course, that kind of freedom presents other challenges. My solution is kinda cheating, I created a Bodoni inspired decorative letterform that gave me enough room in the stems to create a narrative landscape. One part of making images for gallery work I had forgotten about is the amount of care you have to take with your surfaces when it will not be seen without the help of photoshop. The white areas and the colored pencil passages had to be kept very clean. The image above is how it appears in person, though much bigger.


Close followers of my blog and sketchbook may be recognize the content. The ideas for both of these images came out of the pages of my church sketchbook, one from a few weeks back about Lazarus, and this one below which I'm just posting today. If you're out in LA, hope you can make it to the show!

No comments: