Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spectrum 18 Selection




These two images were selected to appear in Spectrum 18: The Best of Contemporary Fantastic Art. I've never entered this annual before, as I've never considered my drawings to be a part of any 'fantasy art' tradition. But recently, more and more editorial illustrators have been getting work into the book- as the realm of fantasy art is defined less by unicorns and armor, and more by flights of imagination. This shift is part of a trend in our culture- the exaltation of Nerd-dom.  As a recovering/emergent nerd, I'm happy to welcome this return, and to be a part of a book celebrating Fantasy Art. One of the selected images is from my sketchbook, which is always really exciting.

1 comment:

BirdandKey said...

Didn't see that one coming...John Hendrix, a nerd. Nope...didn't see it.