Monday, May 19, 2008

The Summer of John - (Brown, that is)

I'm going to be spending most of the summer working on the final art for the picture book I wrote about John Brown. The book is in pencil draft form now, and the final art is underway. I'll make sure to post some drawings as they become declassified.

Earlier in the month, I traveled to Kansas City, where I took in the world premiere of an original opera about John Brown. Nice review in the KC Star. It was quite moving. Even better was to experience the choices another artist made to tell the story of John Brown with honesty, clarity and poetry. I also had the honor of meeting John Brown's great great great granddaughter (who has posted on the blog a few times), Alice Mecoy.

Below, one of the first spreads I'm working on. John Brown smuggling escaped slaves on the Ohio branch of the Underground Railroad.

2 comments:

josh said...

oooo looks like a winner, this one

Alice Keesey Mecoy said...

Looking forward to your book. Your work is wonderful